Friday, November 4, 2016

Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1) by Leigh Bardugo

23437156

Overall Stars: 3.5 stars

Date Finished: October 16, 2016

I was a little nervous going into this series because I was disappointed with the Grisha series and so I found myself very reluctant to pick up this series. It says that it takes place in the same world at the Grisha series but doesn't really explain a whole lot beyond that. I found myself expecting (as with any other spin off) to run into the same characters from the previous series and I just didn't like that series enough to want to continue with the same characters. And I also didn't like the characterization of the some of the characters in the original series so I found myself expecting the same issues here.

And boy was I glad to be wrong! This book has everything that the Grisha series was missing.  It was fast paced and had enjoyable, gritty, complicated characters that all made the ride so much more exciting. 

I enjoyed all of the characters which was surprising. With such a mix of characters I expected some issues there but the reality is that they were all well-written. Each one had their jaded past and their darkness they were struggling with. and each of the characters continued to develop as the story progressed. I also thought that I would get tired of all the POV changes. And while I will say that it does change quite a bit, I did feel like each character added something different so I was actually okay with most of the changes.

I was a little disappointed with the ending. First was the way things ended with Kaz and "Ghost". Kaz had been progressing throughout the book and I was frustrated but his unwillingness to take that one last step to prove himself to her. 

Also, Kaz was always one step ahead and so I was really excited for some surprise reveal at the end showing how awesome Kaz is and how he planned for all of the contingencies, but alas it was not to be. I can see how this would be necessary for the plot and continuing the series but it was a disappointment from the person who had been such a dynamic, intelligent character to fail so epically at the end.

But overall, this was a very good book and I look forward to the next book in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment