Friday, November 4, 2016

Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty

23507745

Overall Rating: 3 stars

Date Finished: October 15, 2016

While there are a lot of Children's series that I really enjoy reading, I must admit that this book didn't really draw my attention when I read the summary. But, my children showed interest in wanting to read it together so I decided to go ahead and read it beforehand to see if it was any good.

To start with, I will say that I enjoyed Seraphina as a character. She was a bit odd and interesting which goes right along with who she is. She was very desperate for friendship which made her quite naive, but again, based on how she was raised, it was also understandable (although I would have expected her to be skeptic and stand offish instead, but I can see where lack of affection made her desperation for a connection with someone).

All of the other characters aren't really developed in too much details except for their interaction with Seraphina. 

And while I will say that I enjoyed the book and he characters, I must admit that the book is very slow going. Although all the drama happens within just a couple of days, there are parts of the book that take a long time to build up and it can be a bit boring at times. 

I was also disappointed with the mystery side of it. Mostly because there was not much of a mystery. The first person she suspects ends up being the culprit. And while I understand that this is a children's novel, you can't underestimate their intelligence. Almost everything points to the same person almost from the beginning and that takes out a lot of the mystery. The best part about a good mystery is the misdirection and second guessing.

And while the ending had plenty of fighting with the way it wasn't written I just didn't feel suspense or resolution like I wanted to. Yet, despite all of that I still found it to be an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment