Monday, August 1, 2016

Warrior Witch (The Malediciton Trilogy #3) by Danielle L. Jensen

21851572



Overall Rating: 3 stars
Date Finished: July 31, 2016


I have enjoyed this whole series and I was really looking forward to this third installment. I knew that there was a lot to wrap up and that is always so hard to do, so I was interested to see how this would all play out.


To start with, there is a lot going on in this book. The main characters have to face off against the Fey, the evil king, the crazy brother, the ambitious half-sister, and the narcissistic duke who is pulling all the strings (just to name a few). And it was of course a lot to put into one book because in one way or another they have to wrap up all of these strings somewhere a long the way.


Despite the difficulty of everything that had to be wrapped up, I felt that most of it was handled very well. I was happy things ended with the king and Roland. The overall threat of the trolls and eliminated, the half-bloods got their freedom. Bad guys that needed to die died, and while some good people died along the way as well, the overall plot was very well done.


That being said, there are a couple reasons why this book was a 3 for me, and not a 4.


One of those reasons is that Cecile and Tristan were basically separated during the entire book. Their building romance and their interaction was often the best part of the books and most of that was eliminated in this book. They have very little interaction besides planning and having sex every once in a while. But even then, there's no real romance. Their relationship seemed to really cool off in this book and I was frustrated by that.


The second, and the biggest reason, was the ending. I don't want to give too much away but I was very frustrated by the ending for Cecile and Tristan. Despite the losses, everything seemed to work out for everyone else in one way or another, but Cecile and Tristan did not have a happy ending at all. And I feel like that author was trying to make up for that with the ending but that last chapter was soo frustrating!


In that last chapter Cecile is dying. Tristan shows up and sees his son for the first time. And what does he say? You should try to lose at cards more often. And while I get that he was trying to hint at the fact that he was watching them, You are seeing your son for the first time!!! You don't have to break down in tears, but a hug, an I love you, something!!!!!


And while Tristan and Cecile end up together in the end, I just feel like that doesn't make up for a lifetime lived apart. That doesn't make up for the family they never got to have, for not being there to watch your son grow up. It just wasn't enough for me.


And that is why this was  3 for me. I really liked the series overall and I really liked this book, up until the last 3 or 4 chapters.




No comments:

Post a Comment