Monday, January 2, 2017

Imprudence (The Custard Protocol #2) by Gail Carriger

12799435

Overall Rating: 3 stars

Date Finished: November 10, 2016

I have to be honest with the fact that I really have trouble rating this series. Partially it is because I really liked the original series and I almost feel bad giving this a bad review because it is a continuation of that series. Partially because this brings back many of the characters that I loved from the original series. But the problem with that is that they are seen differently through Rue's eyes, and because I like the old characters more than I like most of the new characters so that makes it even harder.

I will say that I had a bit of trouble really liking Rue in the first book of the series. I loved Alexia as a character but her daughter was really nothing like her. While Alexia was always pragmatic and consistent, Rue was overly dramatic and rather quite spoiled.


In this book Rue is set adrift, so to speak, as she no longer under guardianship of Lord Akeldama, her parents move to Egypt and without her father, she is no longer a member of the pack. So, she has to find her place in the world. 

Because of that there we essentially lose most of the characters from the original series that I was looking forward to seeing. Especially with word of Professor Lyle coming back, I really wanted to see how that all worked out and the new dynamic between Lyle and Biffy. I will say that Rue was more enjoyable in this book. Because of everything happening she has to essentially put on her big girl panties and start taking some responsibility.

There are more mentions of the past, reintroductions of past characters, some much needed explanations, and of course, lots of tea. And while there are some interesting developments, in a lot of way it still doesn't quite make up for missing the old characters.

But I will say that overall I enjoyed this book more than the last one and I enjoyed the growth of the characters. The romances seemed a bit forced, but overall, not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment