Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Silence (The Queen of the Dead #1) by Michelle Sagara

12437907



Overall Rating: 4 Stars
Date Finished: September 16, 2016

I absolutely love the Chronicles of Elantra series by Michelle Sagara. I love the characters and he world building and it is a series that I will keep reading as long as it lasts (and it’s already been going for a while). So, of course when Michelle Sagara comes out with her first YA series, I have to read it.

Now, I have to admit that I was really bored through the first half of the book. and at one point even thought of not finishing. I found the main character boring and uninteresting. Nothing was really happening (despite all the vague threats that something would happen) and there was mostly just a lot of talking. Both of the main characters are still caught up on their exes and so there is no real romance building and not a whole lot developing with the necromancy either so it was a bit frustrating.

And then they go to a random party and a necromancer shows up looking to recruit Emma and things start to pick up. From there things start to move faster and there are clear goals set so even most of the down time is planning or researching. Emma finally starts using her powers and the book comes to a big closing.

I will say that I was very surprised at the end with how much I found that I had enjoyed the book. I was more than prepared to give this book a very low rating and yet, things really turned around and left me excited for the next book.


By the end I really began to like all of the characters, especially Michael. I can't remember ever reading a book with an Autistic character. I have known a few people with Autism and I felt that the author did a great job of capturing the reality for many highly functional Autistic people and the challenges for those who care for them. And what I liked the most is that she did not make him a helpless character, she gave him strength and intelligence and he of all people was able to see what others couldn't. I was so glad with his inclusion in everything and what a great, realistic character he was!!

 I also really liked the growing relationship between Emma and Eric, and the fact that it isn't romantic makes it so much more real. By the end I was surprised with how much I ended up liking the book and I'm looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment